This morning at SitePoint, we are launching our first foray into the world of NFTs! … …
After over 20 years and over 100 book cover designs, we are releasing a strictly limited series of our latest design work as purchasable digital art.
From 12:00 p.m. on Thursday October 21 (PDT) there will be 10 origami rhinos available for offers.
Things to know
- There will be no “multiple prints” or thousands of variations available. Each piece is a unique original creation – never to be released again.
- Each Rhino contains a 12-month SitePoint Premium subscription which can only be unlocked by its owner.
- The auction will run over 3 days and end on Sunday October 24 at noon (PDT)
- The artwork is a crisp Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) and viewable in any modern web browser or operating system at any resolution without ever being pixelated.
- All proceeds from all sales will go to a highly relevant charity – The International Rhino Foundation.
Secure your own Rhino NFT here
Why is it a rhino?
The first SitePoint book cover was produced in 2001 and the idea of publishing a print book was a total experience for us at the time. The book was a huge success but I didn’t spend a lot of time on the cover design and it didn’t age well.
Luckily things got better as we learned and improved from blocks to a series of mighty beasts.
The Seventh Edition is due to launch in November (to place this one) and pushes forward the vector origami design I’ve been using since 2014. This rhino design is the perfect piece for us to dip our toes in the water NFT.
What is an NFT?
An NFT (Non Fungible Token) is a digital work of art (potentially an image, 3D model, video or sound).
However, unlike standard digital files which can be copied and reproduced endlessly, each NFT exists at a specific address on the blockchain. If I sell my NFT to you, I no longer have access to it.
As with old jazz records, vintage watches, and rare comics, NFTs allow artists and musicians to create digital works of art with built-in rarity.